Drugs and Substance Misuse

During your time at University, there will be lots of new experiences and lots of opportunities to try out new things – some good, some not so good. Alcohol, prescription medication, illegal drugs and ‘legal highs’ can all cause problems.

There are plenty of services available that provide help and support without judgment. Depending on where you live, you may want to contact one of the following:

Rhondda Cynon Taff and Merthyr Tydfil

The Drug and Alcohol Single Point of Access (DASPA) provides advice, information and an easier route into services for those affected by substance misuse. The freephone number 0300 333 0000 is available throughout Rhondda Cynon Taff and Merthyr Tydfil.


e-das is the Cardiff and Vale single point of contact for access to services, advice and information, including a broad range of online information and support.

The phone number is 0300 300 7000.


GDAS (Gwent Drug and Alcohol Services) is the single point of contact for the Newport area for drugs, alcohol and other substance misuse issues.

The phone number is 0333 999 3577.

University of South Wales Support

Students who need support due to past or present addictions can access confidential support services on campus, or use the self-help resources recommended by these services:

Students may also wish to use the Nightline telephone support line, which is run by students, confidential, and not run by the University.

Useful Links

Many organisations give information and support for drug and alcohol issues.

  • dan247 – Wales drug and alcohol helpline
  • Barod – Barod provide free confidential support delivered by trained workers for people experiencing difficulties with substances.
  • TheMix.org – Advice and information about Drink & Drugs for young people.
  • Drink Aware – For most adults, it’s fine to enjoy a drink. At the same time, we all need to look after our health and well-being. Drink Aware provides information about how to do both.
  • Alcoholics Anonymous – Alcoholics Anonymous provides a range of information, advice and face to face sessions to help people cope with drink related problems.
  • Down your drink – Most of us drink. Some of us drink more regularly than others. But how often is too often? And how much is too much?
  • Substance Misuse RCT – where people who live or work in Rhondda Cynon Taff can access information on drugs and alcohol.
  • TEDSTEDS offers a confidential service to users of drugs or alcohol throughout the Rhondda Cynon Taff area.
  • Gamcare – GamCare provides support, information and advice to anyone suffering through a gambling problem.

University Policies

Students who consume, possess or trade in restricted or illegal substances risk being subject to disciplinary procedures. The University will cooperate with the police in any enquiries. Any illegal activity can have serious consequences for students.

Students who are experiencing difficulties or whose behaviour is a cause for serious concern may also require support and an intervention from the University.