Brexit Guidance

Whilst we are still unclear about the UK’s position regarding its exit from the EU, we endeavour to continue to provide support and guidance to our students through what may be an uncertain period.

This page will be updated with the latest information as more details become available.

Update: 11/04/2019

  • The EU and UK have agreed a further delay to Brexit until 31 October 2019.
  • The UK could leave earlier if a withdrawal agreement has been ratified by MPs.

Brexit Guidance posted 01/03/2019

First and most importantly, we want you to know that all our students are valued members of USW’s community, and we will do all we can to support you through what may be an uncertain period. We have a range of support services available and EU, EEA and International students are advised to contact the University’s Immigration & International Student Advice Team (IISA) for individual advice on their situation.

At the time of writing, the UK Parliament has not approved a Withdrawal Deal, so it is possible that the UK will leave the EU without a Deal, or a different agreement than currently proposed. It is important to bear in mind that the information presented below, is the most accurate available at the time of writing but some of it is very likely to change as time goes on. New information will be posted as it becomes available but please check external links and the IISA website regularly.

Travelling to or from the UK after 29 March 2019

If you are planning on travelling to or from the UK after 29 March 2019, please be aware that you may face significant travel disruption, as there will be changes to the rules of travel to most countries in Europe if the UK exits the European Union without a Deal. There may also be a knock-on effect to travel to other countries.

If you have already booked to travel during this period, please check the Foreign Commonwealth Office website to ensure you are aware of any potential disruptions to your travel plans. There is also foreign travel advice available from the UK government website.

If you are an EU/EEA student, as there is still uncertainty about the documents you may need for travelling around this time, we would strongly advise that you take a Student Status letter with you. This must be in paper format. You can request a student status letter by following this link. Other documents that you should also consider carrying with you are listed on the IISA UniLife pages. You should consult these pages if you are planning to travel at this time.

If you are an international student, please check any travel advice issued by your country.

If you are a British passport holder, the Government has provided an update on the travel implications of a No Deal Brexit. From 29th March, you must have at least six months left on your passport from your date of arrival in order to enter a EU country; use the online passport check to find out how much time is left on your passport and whether you will be able to travel to certain countries. Please refer to Passport rules for travel to Europe after Brexit for the most up-to-date information.

Advice and Support for EU and EEA students

UKCISA have issued a useful summary of all the information universities have so far about what will happen if the UK leaves the EU with the current withdrawal agreement or with no deal at all.

In addition, the University’s International & Immigration Student Advice Team has published full guidance on their UniLife website. Please check these pages regularly and the external links provided for up to date information.

Erasmus+ students

USW Erasmus+ students
If you are a USW student currently undertaking an Erasmus+ placement, you will be able to complete your placement until the end of the academic year 2018/19. Any Erasmus+ grant you are eligible for will also be unaffected. Students planning to undertake an Erasmus+ placement next academic year will receive information as soon as it is available.

Erasmus+ students in the UK
If there is No Deal, the EU Commission will seek to fund Erasmus+ students who are in the UK when Brexit happens. However, there is uncertainty about whether the UK will continue to be able to access Erasmus+.

Advice and support

Advice Zones - contact your Campus Advice Zone for information and advice.
Immigration & International Student Advice Team - visit, email or telephone for immigration advice and support.

Further information:

UK Council for International Student Affairs
Universities UK – Brexit Advice and FAQs
Universities UK – Brexit FAQs for EU students
Erasmus+ in the UK – Guidance
USW International & Immigration Student Advice – Brexit Advice
USW International & Immigration Student Advice – EU Settlement Scheme
USW International & Immigration Student Advice – Brexit glossary of terms