Engagement and the Lack of Engagement Process

What does the University mean by ‘engagement’?

The University expects that students:

  • attend and actively participate in all timetabled lectures, meetings and other activities arranged in relation to their course;
  • make appropriate use of their VLE (e.g. Blackboard);
  • submit assessments on time;
  • respond to University communications in a timely manner.

Attendance and Absence

Good attendance is a crucial part of engagement, but we understand that sometimes you may absolutely have to miss a scheduled activity. For more information see Attendance and Absence.

What is the Lack of Engagement Process?

If the University considers your engagement unsatisfactory, you will be contacted first by academic staff then by the Progression Advice Team.

You will be subject to the process outlined in this diagram (click for larger version):

  • If a student’s engagement is unsatisfactory, an academic will contact the student and try to agree re-engagement action.
  • If the student doesn’t re-engage, they will be expected to meet the Progression Advice Team and if they fail to do so they will be referred to be withdrawn.
  • If the student does meet the Progression Advice Team they will explore ways to continue studying, and try to agree re-engagement action. If the student does not re-engage at this stage they will be referred to be withdrawn.

How can the Progression Advice Team help?

The Progression Advice Team will work with you to help you stay in University, or explore others options if studying is not manageable for you at the moment. The earlier we meet with you in the academic year the more options there will be available.

What if I’m experiencing mental health issues and it’s hard for me to engage?

If you’re experiencing mental health issues, it’s important for you to get help. The Wellbeing Service can help you look at the range of support options that may be open to you.

What happens if I don’t re-engage?

If your engagement issues are not resolved, you may be withdrawn from your course.
In which case you will be sent a withdrawal notification by email.

Can I appeal against being withdrawn?

If you are withdrawn, you have the right to appeal within 10 working days from the date that the withdrawal notification is sent to you via email.

  1. Students have the right of appeal against their withdrawal for lack of engagement
  2. Appeals should be made to the Associate Registrar (Student Administration) (sarah.webber@southwales.ac.uk) or nominee.
  3. The grounds under which appeals may be made are:
    • That you were unable to engage in the University’s procedures at the time for good reason.
    • That the procedures were not conducted fairly and/or in accordance with the published regulations.
  4. Evidence must be provided by the student that supports their ground(s) for appeal.
  5. Notice of appeal must be made in writing to the Associate Registrar (Student Administration) and must be received not later than 10 working days after the formal notification of withdrawal.
  6. The decision of the Associate Registrar (Student Administration) will be final and will be notified to the student within a period of 5 working days following receipt of the appeal. The decision will be communicated by e-mail and/or first class post to the last known address of the student. Such despatch shall be deemed to be sufficient and complete discharge of the duty to inform the student.

Is there anyone who can support me through the process?

The Progression Advice Team are there to help you stay at University and oversee the Lack of Engagement Process.

Further support can be accessed through the Wellbeing Service or the Chaplaincy.

Sometimes you might feel you need support that is independent of the University, for example if you’d like to bring someone independent along when you meet with the Progression Advice Team. In that case we would advise you to contact your Students’ Union.

I’ve decided to leave, what do I need to do?

If you have decided to withdraw or interrupt your studies, it is essential that you contact the Advice Zone, as you will still be liable for fees. Please note that ceasing to attend classes does not in itself constitute a formal withdrawal.