Repeating Part of Your Course

  • This page is about the funding implications of repeating part of your course.
  • Regulations about student funding are complex.
  • Students who receive funding / student loans must contact their assessor if they have to repeat part of their course.

This information applies to students from Wales, England or Northern Ireland undertaking full-time undergraduate courses who are eligible to apply for statutory government funding from the relevant Student Finance Authority (e.g. Student Finance Wales).

Throughout this information, the term ‘assessor’ will be used to mean the Student Finance Authority . See contact details below for the relevant websites to find out who your assessor is. If you are unsure, please contact the Student Money Advice Team.

The following information does not apply to students from Scotland or to those in receipt of an NHS Bursary.

Students from Scotland should seek advice from the Students Awards Agency for Scotland. Students in receipt of an NHS Bursary should seek advice from the NHS Awards Unit. See below for contact details.

If at any time during your full-time course you need to repeat one or more modules, you need to be aware of the potential financial implications of this.

Where a student is deviating from the ‘normal’ path of their course they are advised to contact their assessor, who will provide further guidance based on the student’s individual circumstances. Regulations governing student funding are complex. Here we highlight some student support issues about repeating. However, please be aware that this is not an exhaustive explanation. Students can also seek the advice from the Student Money Advice Team .

Notifying your assessor

In all cases of repeat study, you must notify your assessor that you are repeating. Depending on the reasons why you are repeating, and your personal academic history, you may find the financial support you receive for your repeat year is affected.

Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR)

If you are repeating your course due to, what your assessor considers to be, compelling personal reasons (CPR) (e.g. medical circumstances or bereavement) then the assessor has the discretion to continue providing funding to you in full. CPR should not be confused with extenuating circumstances. If the University has granted you extenuating circumstances, this does not necessarily mean the assessor will accept these as CPR. Ultimately, it is up to the assessor to accept your personal circumstances as CPR . If your assessor accepts your circumstances as CPR, then you do not have to use your ‘plus one’ entitlement (see below) during this repeat year. Providing you have not previously used your ‘plus one’, then this can be used, if necessary, later on in your course.

‘Plus one’ entitlement

Generally, students who have no previous experience of studying at higher education level before they start their current course are entitled to eligible financial support for the duration of their current course plus one year. This ‘plus one’ year provides a safety net should the student need to extend the length of their course, perhaps due to having to repeat a year. However, you should not rely on this until you have discussed your own personal circumstances with your assessor.

If you are not granted CPR by your assessor, and your repeat year is not your ‘plus one’ year mentioned above, then your entitlement to assistance with tuition fees and a maintenance grant is likely to be affected during your repeat year.

Attending a full-time course on a part-time basis

If you are undertaking a full-time course, and at some point during your course you need to repeat a number of credits/modules which is less than a full academic year’s worth (normally 120 credits equals a full academic year, e.g. 6 modules worth 20 credits each), you should continue to be enrolled as a full-time student as you are continuing on the same course of study. This then enables you to be considered for full-time student support from your assessor. You should not be enrolled as a part-time student unless you wish to transfer to a part-time mode of study permanently.

If you are undertaking a dissertation only during an academic year, then your assessor may consider you ineligible for student support due to non-attendance.

Useful contacts

Student Finance Wales – 0300 200 4050
Student Finance England – 0300 100 0607
Student Finance Northern Ireland – 0300 100 0077
Student Awards Agency for Scotland – 0300 555 0505
NHS Wales Awards Unit – 02920 196 167

For student money advice, please contact the Student Money Advice Team.